What are some of your greatest volunteer needs?
Currently, we have a vital need for volunteers who meet any of the following criteria:
- Speak both Spanish and English
- Have daytime availability
- Live in the Dalton, Augusta, Savannah, Albany or Athens areas
How do I become a volunteer?
To begin the volunteer process you must fill out an online volunteer application, complete background check and attend an orientation. Visit Join Our Team for more details.
Can I volunteer around my work schedule?
Yes, many of our volunteers are working professionals. We ask for a time commitment of at least 30 hours/year in order to ensure volunteers are properly trained and can make timely progress in granting children's wishes. We strive to be as flexible as possible with our volunteers' time and we ask the same in return.
What can I do as a volunteer?
The main areas of volunteerism are wish granting and special events. Visit What Does A Volunteer Do for more information.
Can anyone be a volunteer?
Special events volunteers must be at least 18 years old and wish granting volunteers must be at least 21 years old. Volunteers must be positive, outgoing, and passionate about children and our mission. It is important that volunteers are comfortable in a variety of social situations and work well with others.
I'm not 18 years old. Can I still volunteer for Make-A-Wish Georgia?
Although all official volunteers must be 18 years old, there are a number of other volunteer opportunities including hosting a toy drive or organizing a fundraiser at school through our Kids For Wish Kids program.
Why are wishes handled by wish teams rather than individuals?
A two person team provides emotional support and helps to balance the workload. Working in teams also helps to protect volunteers from potential accusations of impropriety.
Who makes a great volunteer for your organization?
Volunteers who believe in and adhere to our values fit Make-A-Wish Georgia best. Our values are: Integrity, Child Focus, Excellence, Community and Inspiration.
- Integrity: We approach every aspect of our work with unwavering standards of honesty, transparency and respect for wish recipients, their families and supporters.
- Child Focus: Our business practices always put the interests of wish children first.
- Excellence: We aspire to have best-in-class business practices, and we embrace the challenge to exceed expectations at every opportunity.
- Community: We foster a collaborative, global community of staff, volunteers and donors with the collective ability to make the broadest possible range of wishes come true.
- Inspiration: We are inspired by the examples of our wish kids and the actions of the entire Make-A-Wish Georgia community to approach our mission with life-affirming enthusiasm, imagination and creativity. As a result, we fill each wish experience and every interaction with hope, strength and joy.
What kind of schedule must I have to be able to volunteer?
It is unlikely that you will have a regular volunteer time (i.e. every Tuesday at a certain time). The positions at Make-A-Wish Georgia tend to be very project-oriented and it is necessary that you have a flexible enough schedule to accommodate this commitment.